The Hiring Toolkit was developed to provide DGS Hiring Managers and Employee Resource Liaisons the resources to successfully collect and prepare required Request for Personnel Action (RPA) documents for submittal to the Office of Human Resources (OHR) in order to minimize potential delays of recruitment efforts and most importantly, in-line with Lean 6 Sigma, make a hire within 45 days!
The Civil Service Act of 1934 declared all State positions must be filled based on the applicants' merit, including skills, education, experience, and examination performance. The merit system not only ensures the top candidates are selected for interview, but also ensures the State remains an Equal Opportunity Employer. By reviewing each application received, hiring managers can be sure they interviewed the top candidates based on merit and merit alone.
To learn more, click on Application Review.
Every position in State government has a duty statement. The duty statement is a personnel management tool which describes the overall intent or purpose of a position, the tasks being performed by that position, the purpose of why those tasks are performed, and the manner in which they are performed.
Click on Duty Statement to learn more.
OHR is pleased to announce the rollout of eRPA, a process that will allow documents of all RPAs to be easily accessible electronically for business needs during the mandated retention period and will promote better efficiency for internal and external auditing which helps ensure compliance, accuracy and quality.
Flow charts by classification to help Hiring Managers determine whether or not an applicant meets the minimum qualifications for the classification for which they applied.
Click on Hiring Guides to learn more.
Organization charts provide an overview of the reporting relationships within DGS offices. They are maintained by the Employee Resource Liaison(s) for each program. Commonly referred to as "Org Charts," this document is attached to every RPA. Sometimes a Proposed and a Current Org Chart are required.
Please click on Organization Charts to learn more.
RPA Tracker or Tracker is the tracking and communication system utilized by OHR to coincide with ABMS on all hiring RPAs. Tracker is mandatory for all hiring RPAs and ensures each step of the process takes the appropriate amount of time. Tracker was developed as part of a 2016 Lean Six Sigma project to reduce the time it takes DGS to make a hire.
Click on Tracker to learn more.
- Office of Fiscal Services Budget Analyst (DGS employees only)
- Office of Human Resources (DGS employees only)
- Office of Human Resources (Clients only)
- 904 RPA Request (Clients only)
- Application Review Spreadsheet
- Budget Approval (DGS OHR 37)
- Commitment Cert Request Process
- Duty Statement Template (DGS OHR 907)
- Job Control Report
- Justification Form (DGS OHR 4160)
- Official Personnel File Review Sheet (DGS OHR 755)
- Recruitment Services Request Form
FMD Specific Resources
- EEO Panel Composition
- FMD Specific Flow Chart for Hiring Managers
- FMD Hiring Handbook
- Post and Bid Request (DGS OHR 56)
- Shift Change Form (DGS OHR 57)
Other Resource Materials
- Buildings Requiring Live Scan
- Classifications Requiring Medicals
- Document Naming Conventions
- Duty Statement Library (DGS employees only)
- Eligible List Disclosure
- Guide to Understanding Candidate Status in ECOS
- Hiring Handbook
- HR Contact/ERL RPA Checklist
- Interview Questions Request Form
- Tracker (SharePoint) Flow Chart
- LT, TAU, or T&D Transition to Permanent Flow Chart
- Types of Interview Questions
Department of General Services
Office of Human Resources
West Sacramento, CA 95605
Contact your assigned Classification and Pay Analyst.