(Revised: 10/2020)

When the appointing power or designee authorizes employees to operate a privately owned vehicle on state business, reimbursement will be made at the Federal Standard Mileage Rate (FSMR). Mileage reimbursement expenses cover the maintenance and use of the vehicle, including but not limited to: gasoline, up-keep, wear and tear, tires.


To be reimbursed, employees must submit an STD 262 Travel Expense Claim along with receipt to claim reimbursement; no reimbursement will be paid without a receipt.


If an employee is authorized to use a state vehicle and purchases fuel using the state fuel card, they must submit receipts or invoices to their agency/department to reimburse the credit card company.


The original copies of invoices or receipts will be filed with the State Controller's Office in claims for payment of credit card purchases.  In FI$Cal, the original invoices/receipts should be scanned and attached to the voucher.  It is the responsibility of the agency/department to determine that invoices presented for payment are correct in all respects, the agency/department will audit the propriety of charges and correctness of invoices for credit card purchases before submission for payment.


Unless specifically required by the vehicle manufacturer, the purchase of midgrade or premium (supreme) unleaded gasoline is strictly prohibited.  Employees will reimburse the state for unauthorized fuel purchases.  The amounts collected for unauthorized purchases will be deposited in the agency's/department’s general cash account (revolving fund account if the agency/department does not have a general cash account) pending their remittance to the vendor.


When using the state fuel card, employees must adhere to DGS Office of Fleet and Asset Management Voyager Policy and Procedures.

Search Entire Manual

Print Entire SAM Manual