How to Leverage Social Media Platforms
The Department of General Services (DGS) utilizes several social media platforms for networking, marketing, and informing the public of DGS’ initiatives and accomplishments throughout the state of California.
What is LinkedIn?
LinkedIn is the largest professional networking platform and is an essential recruitment tool for sourcing potential candidates for hiring managers. LinkedIn has over 500 million professional profiles, which means unlimited opportunities and connections.
Why should you create a LinkedIn profile?
- You can investigate companies and job openings and expand your network with just a few clicks.
- You can instantly connect with professionals and hiring managers in the industry you want to pursue.
- Hiring managers and recruiters can review your profile and connect with you for potential job opportunities.
- You can search keywords and titles to better connect you with individuals that align with your mission.
- You can actively seek connections in your industry and expand your network.
- You can broadcast your brand and build trust and credibility with your professional community.
- It expands the reach of candidates much further than traditional job marketing practices.
- It provides a way to build relationships and network by connecting with colleagues and individuals with similar interests.
- Allows you to brand yourself, your career, or your business.
- Opportunity to view, access, and apply to job openings.
How to create an effective profile
A key aspect for both candidates and hiring managers is creating a customized, in-depth LinkedIn profile. This is what lets your audience know what you are specifically seeking, whether you are a candidate looking for a new opportunity or a business looking to hire new talent. It is essential to put in the time to create a profile that stands out and grabs your audience’s attention. Your individual profile is where you can highlight your skills, experience, and education. Conversely hiring managers can state their company’s mission, values, and advertise current job opportunities.
Steps to creating a LinkedIn profile:
- Create a customized profile that is uniquely defined with your work experience, skills, and education.
- Utilize the LinkedIn tool that measures profile depth and implement suggestions on how to increase your profile visibility.
- Use language from job descriptions in your profile to ensure language is aligned with your industry.
- Add a photo and professional summary that will get LinkedIn members engaged and give them better insight into your relevant experience.
- Include a detailed headline to increase traffic to your profile.
How to leverage LinkedIn when looking for a job
LinkedIn is an amazing resource because it hosts more than 500 million professional profiles, which means nearly an unlimited supply of network connections and job opportunities. LinkedIn is an important tool for both recruiters and candidates.
You can leverage LinkedIn by:
- Creating a highly visible, professional profile
- Joining relevant LinkedIn Groups
- Connecting with users in your industry or profession
- Accessing job posts
- Maintaining your rolodex of contacts and connections
- Searching companies/departments/jobs/employees
- Fostering meaningful connections and relationships
- Helping yourself and boost your network
Twitter and Facebook for job searching and professional networking
Twitter and Facebook are fast-paced social networks that allow users and businesses to share information and immediately draw in their audience. A lot of subscribers are using these platforms to search for jobs and connect with professionals.
These platforms make connecting with people in the industry easy and effective. In an age of technology, incorporating social networks becomes a major advantage for recruiting efforts. With dynamic content, professionals can engage and share information faster than ever.
Department of General Services
Office of Human Resources
West Sacramento, CA 95605