Search Special Education Decisions and Orders
Any person can use the search system to look up decisions and orders for Special Education cases handled by the Office of Administrative Hearings (OAH).
The search system provided herein offers a simple word search with no options for further filtering or refinement of the search. Recognizing that our community would be better served with a more advanced search capability OAH is actively working on an upgrade to the search capability available through our website to allow more responsive information retrieval. We appreciate your patience and welcome any comments or requests for additional features.
Pending completion of this upgrade, if you are experiencing issues with the Decision Search function, please try viewing the Special Education Division’s Decisions using Box.com. Access Box.com by using the following link Decision Box or by copying and pasting the following URL into your browser: https://dgscloud.box.com/s/05yxfqlaa08743v0kic30pmvzphsys2i. From Box.com, a copy of the entire database can be downloaded or with the use of a Box.com account (which can be created for free) the Box.com search feature can be used, which may yield more accurate search results.
OAH maintains a list called ListServe which allows OAH to send to interested people copies of our decisions when they are issued, as well as the occasional announcement. If you wish to be added to this list please navigate to the left hand side of this page and press the blue quick link button entitled, "Add to ListServe" located in the section entitled "To Receive Copies of Decisions Via Email ".
SEARCHING SPECIAL EDUCATION ORDERS
Some Special Education Orders are available through our search feature. OAH will only be posting a limited number of orders issued. As OAH issues a large number of orders on an ongoing basis, most of which are extremely similar, posting all orders provides no additional benefit. Additionally, if OAH posted all orders issued, the volume would present a barrier to learning about the types of orders issued.
The orders posted are based on the type of order, the relief granted such as "request denied" or "request granted," and the relationship of the order to parties' access to due process of law.
General instructions on how to search for orders relevant to a particular issue are provided below.
- Click on the "Search Orders" blue button located on the left hand side of this page.
- In the Search field near the top of the orders page, enter the word or phrase that is an essential part of the subject you are seeking. For example, if you would like to search for orders that discuss issues related to requests to "Dismiss", type "Dismiss" in this field then either press enter on your keyboard or press the blue "Search" button located to the right of the search bar to populate the results.
- From those results you can click on the orders category that best suits your search. Once you have made your selection it will take you to that specific orders page where all orders pertaining to that category will be located. For example, if you selected the "Orders To Show Cause" section, you will be taken to the "Orders to Show Cause" page where all sample orders related to "Orders to Show Cause" are located in a pdf version.
- Click on the link of the order you would like to view and a pdf version of that document will download for your review.
SEARCHING SPECIAL EDUCATION DECISIONS
Decisions are accessible through the quick link button to the left of this page.
Special Education Decisions issued from 1993 through June 30, 2005, are maintained by California Department of Education. Go to decisions issued 1993 to July 1, 2005 to view these decisions.
General instructions on how to search for decisions relevant to a particular issue are provided below.
- Click on the "Search Decisions" blue button located on the left hand side of this page.
- In the Search field near the top of the page, enter the word or phrase that is an essential part of the subject you are seeking. For example, if you would like decisions that discuss issues related to requests for “Stay Put” relief, type “Stay Put” in this field then, either press enter on your keyboard or press the blue "Search" button located to the right of the search bar to populate the results.
- From those results you can click on the link of the decision that best suits your search and a pdf version of that document will download for your review.