Access Facility Hardship Funding for School Construction
School districts that have a critical need for pupil housing because the condition of the facilities or the lack of facilities presents an imminent threat to the health and safety of the pupils can locate funding opportunities under this service.
About this Service
School districts can apply for this service once the school district as demonstrated that one of two conditions exist: facilities must be repaired/replaced due to an imminent health and safety threat, or existing facilities have been lost to fire, flood, earthquake or other [natural] disaster. There are two types of Facility Hardship projects:
- Replacement – when the cost to mitigate the health and safety threat is greater than 50 percent of the cost of replacement; and
- Rehabilitation – when the cost to mitigate the health and safety threat is less than 50 percent of the cost of replacement.
To prepare a complete Facility Hardship request, school districts may use the Facility Hardship Request Sheet as a guide. School districts are also encouraged to contact the Office of Public School Construction’s (OPSC) Facility Hardship Team to discuss the request/concern prior to commencing any work, demolition or repair.
There are two ways that a school district can submit a Facility Hardship Program grant request:
- Application for Conceptual Approval – the school district has a basic idea of what needs to be replaced/rehabilitated but does not have Division of the State Architect approved plans and specifications.
- Application for Full Funding – can be submitted with or without first obtaining a conceptual approval but must include all the components of a conceptual approval, as well as the documents required for a full funding application.After being processed by the OPSC, the full funding application will be presented to the State Allocation Board for approval.
information guides and resources
- School Facility Program Handbook (Section 9) (ADA)
- Facility Hardship Brochure (ADA)
- Facility Hardship Example Documentation
- Conceptual Approval (PDF)
- Full Funding Application (PDF)
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Architect’s Submittal Guidelines (ADA)
- Presentation on Additional Grant for Site Development Costs (PPT)
- Facility Hardship Request Sheet
- Form SAB 50-04 (ADA)
- Form SAB 50-05 (ADA)
- Form SAB 50-06 (ADA)
Department of General Services
Office of Public School Construction
West Sacramento, CA 95605
Phone: (916) 376-5338