Low-Cost or Free Attorneys and Advocates for Special Education
LISTS OF ATTORNEYS AND ADVOCATES:
As part of its interagency agreement with the California Department of Education, the Office of Administrative Hearings (OAH) maintains a list of attorneys and a separate list of advocates who self-certify that they are knowledgeable about Special Education and that they offer services either free or at a low cost. OAH considers the primary purpose of these lists is to help parents of children with exceptional needs to locate free or reduced cost representation in preparation for special education due process hearings.
OAH does not represent that the individuals placed on the list offer free or low cost services. It is important that if you choose to use the list that you contact the attorneys and advocates to discuss their fees.
On September 28, 2017, the California Attorney General’s Office issued opinion No. 14-101 addressing the participation of advocates in special education proceedings before the Office of Administrative Hearings. You are encouraged to read the opinion if you are considering retaining the services of an advocate. The opinion can be found at: https://oag.ca.gov/opinions/
To access the lists identifited above, please click on the name of the list to go the appropropriate page. For example, to access the list of attorneys offering their services throughout all of California, click on "Attorneys - All California." Translations of these lists may be accessed through the "Translate" option in the upper right corner of your screen. For alternative formats, please send a request using the button under "Alternative Format Request" found on this page.
HOW TO APPLY TO BE INCLUDED IN THESE LISTS
OAH will include on the list all persons and organiztions that provide a timely, complete application, and certify that they provide free or reduced cost representation within the meaning of Education Code section 56502, subdivision (h).Applicants may either submit the completed form application or a letter which contains all of the information requested in the form application. If a letter is sent the letter must contain, in addition to the information requested on the form, the following language with the appropriate signature: "I declare under penalty of perjury that the person or organization identified above provides free or reduced cost representation or other assistance within the meaning Education Code section 56502, subdivision (h)."
To be deemed a complete application the application must:
- Identify if the applicant is seeking to be on the attorney list or the advocate list. If the applicant wishes to be on both the attorney list and the advocate list, then all information on the application must be the same for both the attorney listing and the advocate listing. If the information will be different, for example, the areas in which advocate services is limited to Southern California but the attorney services are provided in both Southern California and San Diego Area, then two separate applications will need to be submitted.
- If the applicant is an individual, the applicant's name must be legible and must stated in the following format: last name, first name. If a title is included, the title should be stated after the first name. For example, Dr. John Doe should be stated as: Doe, John, Dr.
- Website and emal addresses, if provided, must be complete. For example, if the website address has "https://www" as part of the address, this must be included in the application. Website addresses such as "media.org" will not be accepted.
- Geographic areas served must be identified. If all areas are checked then the listing will only be included in the "All California" listing.
- The application must be signed by the applicant or s omeone authorized to sign on behalf of the organization.
All information must be legible, including the numbers. Be sure the entire number is clearly shown in the fields.
The application or letter should be submitted to OAHSEOPs@dgs.ca.gov
For name changes, and changes to areas served, address, phone or fax numbers, email or website addresses, please submit a new application with the correct (new) information by email to OAHSEOps@dgs.ca.gov, along with an explanation as to which items are being changed. The explanation as to the items being changed may be submitted in the body of the email.
Removal of an entry on the list, e.g. attorney is no longer with the same firm, or if the individual or organization no longer wishes to be on the list, may be submitted by email to OAHSEOps@dgs.ca.gov. Please completely identify the individual or organization being removed.
The link to the application for inclusion in the Attorney or Advocate lists is posted below.
Cantonese (Chinese Traditional) - 列入低費或免費律師名單或低費或免費法律顧問名單的申請
Mandarin (Chinese Simplified) - 申请列入低成本或免费律师名单或者低成本或免费法律顾问名单
Spanish - Solicitud de inclusión en la lista de abogados de bajo costo o gratuitos o en la lista de defensores de bajo costo o gratuitos
Vietnamese - Đơn xin đưa vào Danh sách Luật sư Chi phí thấp hoặc Miễn phí hoặc Danh sách những Người Biện hộ với Chi phí thấp hoặc Miễn phí
Cantonese (Chinese Traditional) - 免費或減價特殊教育律師 2020 年冬季更新
Mandarin (Chinese Simplified) - 免费或低成本特殊教育律师2020年冬季更新
Spanish - Lista de Abogados gratuitos o de costo reducido de Educación Especial - Actualización de la lista de invierno 2020
Vietnamese - Danh sách Luật sư Trong Ngành Giáo Dục Đặc Biệt Có Chi Phí Giảm hoặc Miễn Phí – Cập nhật Mùa đông 2020
Cantonese (Chinese Traditional) - 免費或減價特殊教育律師名單 - 冬季名單更新
Mandarin (Chinese Simplified) - 免费或低成本特殊教育倡导者名单——冬季名单更新
Spanish - Lista de Defensores gratuitos o de costo reducido de Educación Especial - Actualizaciones de la lista de invierno
Vietnamese - Danh sách Chuyên gia Bênh vực Quyền trong ngành Giáo Dục Đặc Biệt có Chi phí giảm hoặc Miễn phí – Cập nhật Danh sách Mùa đông
Alternative Format Request
All forms and publications on this website are available in alternative formats. If you would like a copy of a form or publication in an alternative format, please contact us at DGSOAHFeedback@dgs.ca.gov.