A request for continuance is a change to the scheduled hearing date or time.  Continuances can only be granted for good cause.  The person making the request for continuance has the burden to establish good cause for continuing the hearing.

If you are a self-represented party in a General Jurisdiction case at OAH, you can submit a request to change your hearing date(s) or continue your hearing date(s).  The request for continuance must be in writing. All documents filed with OAH must include proof of service to show that the document or documents were served on OAH and all other parties involved in the matter.  When filing documents with the General Jurisdiction Division, parties must comply with California Code of Regulations, title 1, section 1008.  Many people use the CA Judicial Council Forms, which are accepted at OAH.

You may use the Motion for Continuance by Unrepresented Respondent form (OAH 23).      

Submitting a Motion to continue

The following are Instructions for submitting a continuance motion by non-represented respondents:

  1. Fully complete the Motion for Continuance by Unrepresented Respondent (OAH 23).  You may complete the OAH 23 on line and print it, or you may print the form and complete it by hand.
  2. Sign and date the form.
  3. E-File the continuance request to the Presiding Judge of the appropriate regional office of the Office of Administrative Hearings.
  4. Send a copy of the continuance request to the representative of the complaining party, and to all other parties in the case. If you are not sure who that is, look on the first page of the accusation/statement of issues or on the notice of hearing.

For further information regarding continuances of administrative hearings before the Office of Administrative Hearings see Government Code section 11524 (Outside Link) and California Code of Regulations, title 1, section 1020 (Outside Link).

Parties may check on the ruling of their continuance request by accessing the Continuance Rulings Search.


Secure e-File Transfer (SFT) system

Access Secure e-File Transfer (SFT) system

General Jurisdiction Calendar

Access the General Jurisdiction Calendar

For questions about your specific case, contact your local OAH office at:

Sacramento Office  (916) 263-0550

Los Angeles (213) 576-7200

Oakland (510) 622-2722

San Diego (619) 525-4475