Apply for Laboratory Acceptance for Material Testing on School Construction Projects
Testing laboratories can apply to the Division of the State Architect (DSA) for evaluation and acceptance to provide construction material testing and special inspection services on projects under DSA jurisdiction.
A list of laboratory facilities that have been evaluated and accepted by DSA to perform services on school projects can be found at Accepted Laboratories on DSA’s Tracker website. Laboratory Evaluation and Acceptance Program acceptance is typically valid for four years.
- Submit and Application with Requisite Items
- A form DSA 100-PRE: Lab Program Preliminary Application. The DSA 100-PRE is the preliminary application for a laboratory to apply for initial acceptance into the Laboratory Evaluation and Acceptance program, or renew its acceptance.
- Make payment by credit card or electronic check through a third-party service, Fiserv at DSA Laboratory Fees, or include a check in the application package. Application fees are as follows:
- $8,000: New applicant, re-evaluation or expiration of acceptance.
- $2,000: Laboratory location change (move).
- $1,000: Engineering Manager change.
- $500: Changes to supervisors, laboratory name, added services, or NDT Level III.
- A form DSA 650: Disclosure of Social Security Number and/or Federal Taxpayer Identification Number. Please see DSA's AB 1424 Notification on the Certification Programs for School Construction Projects webpage for additional application requirements related to collection of social security/tax identification numbers.
- Pass the Laboratory Assessment
DSA will perform a laboratory assessment upon receipt of required submittal items. To prepare for the assessment, review form DSA 220: LEA Program On-site Assessment Report. This form includes a checklist of items to be verified during a typical DSA assessment visit to the facility.
Updated structural test and special inspection report templates are provided below for convenience and voluntary use by DSA-accepted testing facilities. These templates depict the mandatory information/statements and the desired format. Mandatory information includes: addressee (typically the school district), DSA file and Application Number, specified requirements, cc list (architect, structural engineer, project inspector, and DSA) and the two conformance statements. Note that reports need not match these templates exactly. Additional information may be provided, test data may be rearranged, or other minor changes may be made. However, use of these standardized, electronically fillable templates is strongly encouraged since standardized templates will expedite review of reports by DSA and other parties to the project.
Test / Inspection Report Templates
(These templates are to be completed, printed and signed for submittal to DSA and CCs indicated.)
- DSA 201: Soil Compaction (PDF) | (DOC) Revised 02/16/11
- DSA 202: Sieve Analysis (PDF) | (DOC) Revised 02/16/11
- DSA 203: Tension/Bend (PDF) | (DOC) Revised 11/13/12
- DSA 204: Compression (PDF) | (DOC) Revised 05/17/11
- DSA 205: Concrete Masonry Unit (PDF) | (DOC) Revised 06/28/11
- DSA 206: Anchor Load (PDF) | (DOC) Revised 02/16/11
- DSA 207: Masonry Core Shear/Compression (PDF) | (DOC) Revised 02/16/11
- DSA 208: High Strength Bolt (PDF) | (DOC) Revised 02/16/11
- DSA 209: Fireproofing Density (PDF) | (DOC) Revised 02/16/11
- DSA 210: Ultrasonic (NDT) (PDF) | (DOC) Revised 02/16/11
- DSA 211: Attachment for Additional Comments/Information (PDF) | (DOC) Revised 07/02/15
- DSA 250 Special Inspection Report (PDF) | (DOC)
- IR 17-2: Nondestructive Testing (NDT) of Structural Welds: 2016 and 2013 CBC (PDF) Revised 06/11/18
- IR 17-3: Structural Welding Inspection: 2016, 2013, 2010 and 2007 CBC (PDF) Revised 05/08/18
- IR 17-8 Sampling and Testing of High Strength Bolts, Nuts, and Washers (PDF) Issued 01/12/11
- IR 17-8.16: Sampling and Testing of High Strength Bolts, Nuts, and Washers: 2016 and 2013 CBC (PDF) Issued 01/12/11
- IR 17-9: High Strength Structural Bolting Inspection: 2016, 2013, 2010 and 2007 CBC (PDF) Revised 05/08/18
- IR 17-10: Sampling, Testing and Tagging of Reinforcing Bars (PDF) Issued 08/03/11
- IR 17-10.16: Sampling, Testing and Tagging of Reinforcing Bars: 2016 CBC (PDF) Issued 07/14/17
- IR 17-11: Identification, Sampling and Testing of Threaded Steel Anchor Bolts and Anchor Rods (PDF) Revised 06/27/16
- IR 17-12: Special Inspection Reporting Requirements (PDF) Issued 02/09/18
Contact the Laboratory Evaluation and Acceptance Program
Division of the State Architect
Sacramento, CA 95811