Report Unused School Sites
School districts and county superintendents of schools pay a fee for properties that are not used for school purposes after specific time periods under this service.
About this Service
The Unused Site Program became law in 1974. The provisions of this service are governed by Education Code Sections 17219 through 17224. The State Allocation Board adopted regulations set forth in Title 2, Subgroup 10, California Code of Regulations, commencing with Section 1864.1 through 1864.10, which affect the administration of this program. The following is information concerning unused sites and what is considered “unused:”
- The site is currently used for the specific purposes for which it was acquired. This means use as an active K-12 school. A district may substitute a site acquired for use at one grade level for use at another grade level.
- The site is currently used to house students for any California Department of Education program (including Adult Education) authorized by the Legislature, and operated by public school districts for which the district is receiving State School Fund apportionments.
- The site is currently used to house Special Education students.
- The site is currently used for district administration purposes including such support services as warehousing and maintenance facilities.
- The site is currently used for preschool or child care centers when operated by or under contract with a public school district or a county superintendent of schools.
- The site is currently used for a community college if attendance is allowed for high school students in the 11th or 12th grade.
information guides and resources
Department of General Services
Office of Public School Construction
West Sacramento, CA 95605