Certify your Hotel as "Green"
Lodging facilities that would like to certify with the state as a “green” hotel can do so by applying through the California Green Lodging Program.
About this Service
The California Green Lodging Program certifies lodging facilities that demonstrate water and energy conservation, waste minimization, recycling, environmentally friendly purchasing, program sustainability, and pollution prevention. The program is committed to demonstrating the highest standards of integrity and environmental ethics for the State of California. The California Green Lodging Program encourages state and local government travelers to seek out and give preference to these certified green hotels. By traveling green, government travelers divert waste from landfills, and conserve energy and water as they conduct business for the government entities; thus, reducing the carbon footprint for travel and supporting California's green initiative.
- Property featured on the CA Green Lodging Directory located on the DGS travel website.
- Property displayed as a green hotel on the Concur Travel website, the state’s online travel booking tool. (Note: Statewide travel policy requires travelers to use Concur Travel to make all travel accommodations, including hotel.)
- Property can designate their hotel as an eco-certified property in the Global Distribution System (GDS), Sabre.
- Property included in the American Automobile Association (AAA) TourBook and AAA online directories (TripTik Travel Planner, Mobile, and online TourBook) per Green Lodging Program's partnership.
- Property use of program logo and display of the program certificate and window decal to show commitment to sustainability.
- Each property must first apply by completing and submitting the hotel application.
- Once the survey is received, DGS staff contacts the property to schedule an onsite field survey.
- After the field survey visit, DGS staff completes a program evaluation and scoring.
- If the property qualifies for the certification, it is given a rating of one of three levels, Participant, Leadership, or Environmentalist.
- There is a membership fee of $500 for a three-year period. Each property will need to show an active initiative of sustainability improvements to be eligible for a re-certification.
Levels of Certification
Department of General Services
Statewide Travel Program
West Sacramento, CA 95605