Apply and Maintain Masonry Special Inspector Certification
Masonry Special Inspectors are listed on the DSA Certified Masonry Special Inspector List. Masonry Special Inspectors are required to recertify (renew) every four years. Though an individual may be DSA certified, DSA approval is required for each specific project when masonry special inspectors are hired independently of a DSA certified testing laboratory by a school district.
The following information will help you prepare to become a DSA Certified Masonry Special Inspector.
A detailed description of the application process is as follows:
- Applicants must hold current/valid certification as a Structural Masonry Inspector through the International Code Council (ICC).
Applicants shall submit all of the following to DSA as one package to apply to sit for an exam:
- Completed DSA 177: Special Inspector Examination Application.
- Evidence of ICC certification.
- Evidence of at least three years of experience in construction work or special inspection work on one or more projects similar to anticipated project work.
- Completed DSA 650: Disclosure of Social Security Number and/or Federal Taxpayer Identification Number. This form must be submitted with your application. Issuance of certifications will not be granted until this information is received. Please see DSA’s Taxpayer ID and Social Security Number Disclosure for Certification webpage for additional application requirements related to collection of social security/tax identification numbers
- The application fee of $100.00.
Upon approval by DSA to sit for the exam, the applicant will receive a detailed admittance letter and exam outline. Upon passing the exam, DSA will post the applicant’s name on the DSA Certified Masonry Special Inspector List.
The exam is based on the reference material stated below. The exam is 60 questions, with a two-hour time limit, and will be open-book format.
2016 California Building Code, Title 24, Parts 1 and 2 as follows:
- Part 1 California Administrative Code, Chapter 4 (especially sections on special inspection, special inspectors, and reporting requirements)
- Part 2, Volume 1 California Building Code, Chapter 2, Chapter 14
- Part 2, Volume 2 California Building Code, Chapter 17A, Chapter 21A
Building Code Requirements and Specification for Masonry Structures and Related Commentaries: TMS 402-13/ACI 530-13/ASCE 5-13
ASTM Standards: A615/A615M-13, C62-13a, C90-14, C140-14a, C216-14a, C270-12a, C476-10, C1019-13, C1314-12
- Title 24 Administrative Requirements
- Masonry Quality
- Masonry Placement
- Grout Placement
All DSA certified Masonry Special Inspectors must renew their DSA certification every four years prior to expiring. To apply for certification renewal, follow the same steps outlined above with two exceptions: evidence of work history and resubmittal of the DSA 650 is not required.
Upon approval by DSA to sit for the exam, the applicant will receive a detailed admittance letter. Upon passing the exam, DSA will extend the applicant’s certification for another four years on the DSA Certified Masonry Special Inspector List.
Contact DSA Inspector Programs
Division of the State Architect
Sacramento, CA 95811