Electronic Plan Review for School, Essential Services Construction Projects
The introduction of EPR brings changes to the submittal, review, back check and approval process of construction projects under the jurisdiction of the Division of the State Architect (DSA). An overview of the new process is below. Detailed information on submitting a project is located on the Start a Construction Project by Submitting Plans for Review webpage.
Learn more by downloading the latest EPR Reports and the EPR submittal procedures listed below. Additional inquiries on the EPR submittal process may be submitted to email@example.com.
Electronic Plan Review Effective Dates
- October 1, 2018: DSA Sacramento, San Diego, and Oakland
- November 1, 2018: DSA Los Angeles
- September 1, 2019: All Over-the-Counter (OTC) Projects - NEW DATE!
Electronic Plan Review Process
After registering for an intended submittal date, DSA will create a folder structure in DSAbox that design professionals will use for uploading the electronic plan sets (PDF file format) on the registered submittal date. DSA will review the submitted documents for completeness and adherence to DSA’s formatting requirements prior to acceptance.
2. Plan Review
Accepted plan sets will be transferred by DSA into a Bluebeam Studio Session where staff will complete a detailed plan review. Once the review by DSA is complete, the design professionals will be invited to the Bluebeam Studio Session. This invitation will provide design professionals with access to their downloadable copy of plan sets.
3. Back Check
The design professionals will make an appointment for an in-person electronic back check for the review of plan sets that required corrections. Prior to the meeting, the design professional must upload the corrected plan sets into the Bluebeam Studio Session so that at the DSA regional office, DSA staff and the design professionals can jointly review the plan sets and verify that all required corrections were made.
Once the back check process is complete, the DSA plan reviewer will approve the plans electronically using Bluebeam software.
5. Post Approval
All post plan approval changes and deferred submittals will be uploaded directly into the Bluebeam Studio Session by the design professional, where they will be reviewed and approved by DSA.
Electronic Plan Review Procedures
The following documents are also located on the Publications webpage.
- PR 18-04.BB17: Electronic Plan Review for Design Professional of Record Using Bluebeam 2017 (External) (PDF) Revised 10/03/18
- PR 18-04.BB18: Electronic Plan Review for Design Professional of Record Using Bluebeam 2018 (External) (PDF) Revised 10/03/18
- PR 18-05: Electronic Plan Review for Consultant Plan Reviewer (External) (PDF) Revised 10/03/18
- PR 18-09.BB17: Electronic Plan Review for Over-the-Counter (OTC) Projects Using Bluebeam 2017 (External) (PDF) Issued 09/17/18
- PR 18-09.BB18: Electronic Plan Review for Over-the-Counter (OTC) Projects Using Bluebeam 2018 (External) (PDF) Issued 09/17/18
EPR Procedure Flowcharts
- Flowchart 1: Regular Project Submittal (PDF) Updated 01/22/19
- Flowchart 2: Post-Approved Document Submittal (PDF) Updated 01/22/19
- Flowchart 3: Over-the-Counter (OTC) Submittal (PDF) Updated 05/18/18
EPR Procedure Videos
All procedure videos are posted on our DSA Electronic Plan Review Youtube playlist.
CONTACT DSA Headquarters
Division of the State Architect
Sacramento, CA 95811
Reception (916) 445-8100
Fax (916) 445-3521