Certification via the Green Lodging Program
California is recognized throughout the nation for its environmental beauty and its environmental leadership. Each of us has an important role to play in protecting this beauty and helping to conserve California's precious natural resources to ensure that its residents and businesses continue to thrive.
The California Green Lodging Program acknowledges and promotes lodging facilities that demonstrate water and energy conservation, waste minimization, recycling, environmentally friendly purchasing, program sustainability, and pollution prevention. The program is committed to demonstrating the highest standards of integrity and environmental ethics for the State of California.
We invite your property to become a member of the program and be recognized for doing your part to help keep California green.
- Property featured on the CA Green Lodging Directory located on the DGS travel website;
- Property displayed as a green hotel on the Concur Travel website, the state’s online travel booking tool. (Note: Statewide travel policy requires travelers to use Concur Travel to make all travel accommodations, including hotel.)
- Property displayed as a green hotel in the Global Distribution System (GDS), Sabre;
- Property included in the American Automobile Association (AAA) TourBook and online directories (TripTik Travel Planner, Mobile, and online TourBook), per Green Lodging Program's partnership; and
- Property use of program logo and display of the program certificate and window decal to show commitment to sustainability.
Steps to Achieve a "Green" Hotel Designation
- Each property must first apply by completing and submitting the hotel survey (PDF).
- Once the survey is received, DGS staff contacts the property to schedule an onsite field survey (PDF).
- After the field survey visit, DGS staff completes a program evaluation and scoring.
- If the property qualifies for the certification, it is given a rating of one of three levels, Participant, Leadership, Environmentalist. (See levels and scoring information below. Also see Green Lodging Directory.)
There is a membership fee of $200 for a one-year period or $500 for a three-year period. Each property will need to show an active initiataive of sustainability improvements to be eligible for a recertification. If each property meets the recertification requirements of the program, it will qualify for their selected one-year or three-year green certification for the program.
Levels of Certification
This is the highest level of program participation. Environmentalist Level hotels achieved a field survey score of 351 or more points.
This is the second highest level of program participation. Leadership Level hotels achieved a field survey score of 326 to 350 points.
This is the entry level for the program. Participation Level hotels achieved a field survey score of 250 to 325 points.
Certification In Process
The hotel has submitted a hotel survey to apply for Green Lodging Program consideration and is in the process of being certified.
Thank you for your participation in this program. We look forward to your support and commitment to reducing waste, saving energy, water and California's other valuable resources through environmentally friendly practices in the hospitality industry.