Certification via the Green Lodging Program
California is recognized throughout the nation for its environmental beauty and its environmental leadership. Each of us has an important role to play in protecting this beauty and helping to conserve California's precious natural resources to ensure that its residents and businesses continue to thrive.
The California Green Lodging Program acknowledges and promotes lodging facilities that demonstrate water and energy conservation, waste minimization, recycling, environmentally friendly purchasing, program sustainability, and pollution prevention. The program is committed to demonstrating the highest standards of integrity and environmental ethics for the State of California.
We invite your property to become a member of the program and be recognized for doing your part to help keep California green.
- Property featured on the CA Green Lodging Directory located on the DGS travel website;
- Property displayed as a green hotel on the Concur Travel website, the state’s online travel booking tool. (Note: Statewide travel policy requires travelers to use Concur Travel to make all travel accommodations, including hotel.)
- Property displayed as a green hotel in the Global Distribution System (GDS), Sabre;
- Property included in the American Automobile Association (AAA) TourBook and online directories (TripTik Travel Planner, Mobile, and online TourBook), per Green Lodging Program's partnership; and
- Property use of program logo and display of the program certificate and window decal to show commitment to sustainability.
Steps to Achieve a "Green" Hotel Designation
- Each property must first apply by completing and submitting the hotel application (PDF).
- Once the survey is received, DGS staff contacts the property to schedule an onsite field survey (PDF).
- After the field survey visit, DGS staff completes a program evaluation and scoring.
- If the property qualifies for the certification, it is given a rating of one of three levels, Participant, Leadership, Environmentalist. (See levels and scoring information below. Also see Green Lodging Directory.)
There is a membership fee of $200 for a one-year period or $500 for a three-year period. Each property will need to show an active initiative of sustainability improvements to be eligible for a recertification. If each property meets the recertification requirements of the program, it will qualify for their selected one-year or three-year green certification for the program.
Levels of Certification
This is the highest level of program participation. Environmentalist Level hotels achieved a field survey score of 350 or more points. They have a written environmental policy in place and meet all of the seven of the program's criteria:
· Waste minimization
· Energy efficiency
· Conservation and management
· Waste management
· Freshwater resource management
· Hazardous materials management
· Environmentally and socially sensitive purchasing policies
This is the second highest level of program participation. Leadership Level hotels achieved a field survey score of 325 to 349 points. They may have an environmental policy in place and meet most of the seven of the program's criteria, and have either one-year or three-years (depending on the selected time period) from their date of enrollment to demonstrate continuous improvement and elevate their rating to the Environmentalist Level.
This is the entry level for the program. Participation level hotels are building their environmental green lodging programs. They achieved a field survey score of 250 to 324. Participation level hotels meet some of the seven program criteria, and have either one-year or three-years (depending on the selected time period) from their date of enrollment to demonstrate continuous improvement and elevate their rating to the Leadership Level.
Thank you for your participation in this program. We look forward to your support and commitment to reducing waste, saving energy, water and California's other valuable resources through environmentally friendly practices in the hospitality industry.