DGS' Pharmaceutical Acquisitions Section (Rx Section) administers the Statewide Pharmaceutical Program (SPP). The SPP allows state and local governmental entities to access contracts that can provide substantial savings for purchasing bulk pharmaceuticals and related pharmaceutical services. The SPP operates under Government Code Sections 14977-14982.
Coordinate the efforts of various state and local governmental entities, as appropriate, to identify and implement opportunities for cost savings and quality improvement regarding pharmaceuticals and medical supplies.
Four state agencies are required to participate in the SPP:
- Department of State Hospitals
- California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation (CDCR)
- California Correctional Health Care Services
- Division of Juvenile Justice
- Department of Developmental Services
In addition, Government Code 14977.5(b) allows other state and local agencies to participate in the SPP. To participate in the SPP, please complete the SPP Entity Enrollment Application.