Dates and Locations
||LATEST POSTMARK DATE FOR APPLICATION FILING
||REGISTRATION FORM & FEE DUE TO DSA
|March 8, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
|January 31, 2017
||February 14, 2017
|June 7, 2017
||Community College Building, Sacramento, CA
||April 21, 2017
||May 19, 2017
|September 13, 2017
||DSA S.D. Regional Office, San Diego, CA
||July 14, 2017
||August 18, 2017
Examinations are subject to revised qualifications criteria, as required by 2013 California Administrative code. See California Code of Regulations, Title 24, Part 1 (PDF - 103) for details. Beginning with the March 2016 exam, the DSA Project Inspector Examination Application will comply with 2016 California Administrative Code requirements (Section 4-333.1) for minimum qualifications, including work experience, education and certifications.
For complete details, see the revised and updated 2017 Project Inspector Examination Information and Application Package (PDF - 399 KB) Revised 12/09/16
- Exams are offered in March, June, and September.
- The exam consists of two parts (Plan Reading and Construction Knowledge) and is divided into the following sections:
- Administrative (in Construction Knowledge Part only)
- Mechanical, Electrical, and Plumbing
- Applicants must obtain a minimum score of 60 percent in EACH section to pass the exam.
- Certificates will only be issued upon request. Duplicates may require a fee. Inspectors are listed on the Certified Inspector List of the eTracker website regardless of whether a certificate is provided or not.
Changes to the Project Inspector Examination in 2017
Beginning with the March 2016 exam, the DSA Project Inspector Examination will be based on the 2013 California Code of Regulations, Title 19 and Title 24, and the edition of standards referenced therein. Title 24 is available in read-only format through the Building Standards Commission’s (BSC) website. Title 19 is available for viewing through the Office of Administrative Law on Westlaw’s website. Beginning around the end of January 2016, minimum qualifications to take the exam will be based on the 2016 California Administrative Code. The proposed express terms revising the current minimum qualifications in Title 24, Part 1, though not yet adopted, are available for viewing on BSC’s and DSA’s website. Examination location, dates, and other relevant information will be forthcoming over the next several months.
All fees are nonrefundable and subject to change.
- Application fee is $ 175.00 ($125 for licensed architects and engineers).
- Examination fee is $ 600.00.
DSA Academy Inspector Classes
DSA Inspector Overview Class: Information is available at DSA Academy - Class Schedule and Registration. Classes listed on the DSA Academy website are the only classes sanctioned by DSA. Please visit the DSA Academy website for class dates and registration.
The Project Inspector Overview (PIO) is a required component for Project Inspector recertification and RBIP recertification.
To review dates and locations of classes for 2017, see the 2017 Year at a Glance Class Schedule (PDF).