This page provides information for those manufacturers seeking certification or recertification of their gas shutoff valves in the State of California.
The Division of the State Architect (DSA) oversees the certification of two types of gas shutoff valves as required by the Health and Safety Code. DSA reviews the report provided by qualified testing laboratories and certifies the product meets the applicable standard.
Contractors or installers need to contact the local building department for the installation of gas shutoff valves, as DSA only checks for product compliance with American Society of Civil Engineers’ (ASCE) published standard, ASCE 25.
The DSA review fee and further instructions are listed on the application forms.
Assembly Bill 1424, which became effective January 1, 2012, requires businesses renewing certifications to provide their Federal Tax Identification Number and/or Social Security number. Please see DSA's AB 1424 Notification page for additional application requirements related to collection of social security/tax identification numbers.
For questions related to the Gas Shutoff Valve Certification Program, contact DSA at:
Division of the State Architect
Gas Shutoff Valve Certification Program
Shutoff Valves Requiring DSA Review and Certification
- Excess Flow Automatic Gas Shutoff valves (EFV) by authority of the Health and Safety Code Sections 19200-19204
- Earthquake Sensitive Shutoff Valves (ESV) by authority of the Health and Safety Code Sections of 19180-19183
Exempt from DSA Review
- Manual shutoff valves
- Construction oversight of all shutoff valves (Manual, ESV, and EFV)
DSA Certification Process
Scope of DSA Gas Shutoff Valve Certification
- DSA certification is for residential structures only.
- DSA certification does not cover manual shutoff valves.
- DSA certification is for the valve only and does not include the installation and inspection after installation.
- DSA certification does not replace any requirements adopted by local building departments. The installation of gas valves is under the jurisdiction of the local building departments. Building permits may be required by local building departments. Please contact your local building department if you have any questions about installation.
- DSA certification does not address other plumbing/piping, mechanical, or building code requirements and issues. The installation and the piping systems containing the gas valves must meet the requirements specified by the local building departments and the manufacturers.
Certification of Excess Flow Automatic Gas Shutoff Valves (EFV)
Application for new or renewed EFV certifications:
Certification of Earthquake Sensitive Gas Shutoff Valves (ESV)
Effective July 1, 2012, the California Building Standards Commission has adopted ASCE 25-06 as the reference standard for Earthquake Sensitive Gas Shutoff Valves, under California Code of Regulations Title 24, Part 12. Please be advised that your business is required to apply for recertification for each of the valves proposed to be marketed in California.
Application for new or renewed ESV certifications:
Technical Information - Gas Shutoff Devices
There are three types of gas shutoff devices. These are manual shutoff valves, earthquake sensitive automatic shutoff valves, and excess flow automatic gas shutoff valves. The DSA certification program deals with the latter two types of gas shutoff devices.
Codes and Standards Resources
- ASCE-25: Current publication available online titled “Earthquake-Actuated Automatic Gas Shutoff Devices” (14 pages). Formal Standard listed as: “ANSI/ASCE/SEI 25-06”
- Authority for EFV Certification by DSA: Health and Safety Code Sections 19200–19204
- Authority for ESV Certification by DSA: Health and Safety Code Sections 19180–19183
- Regulations governing EFV certification: California Code of Regulations, Title 21, Division 1, Chapter 1, Subchapter 6 (PDF - 124 KB)
- Regulations governing ESV certification: California Code of Regulations, Title 21, Division 1, Chapter 1, Subchapter 5 (PDF - 156 KB)
- California Standards for EFV certification: California Code of Regulations, Title 24, Chapter 12-16-2 (PDF - 12 KB)
- California Standards for ESV certification: California Code of Regulations, Title 24, Chapter 12-12 (PDF - 14 KB)
Lists of Gas Shut-off Valve Certifications