Sustainable Design Guidelines
According to the Executive Order S-20-04, item 3:
"The Division of the State Architect in the Department of General Services should adopt guidelines by December 31, 2005, to enable and encourage schools built with state funds to be resource and energy efficient."
On behalf of the State Architect, a schools workgroup convened to meet this requirement, drawing members from the following agencies:
- The Division of the State Architect (DSA)
- California Energy Commission (CEC)
- California Department of Education (CDE)
- Office of Public Schools Construction (OPSC)
- California Integrated Waste Management Board (CIWMB)
- Office of the Secretary of Education (OSE)
- Department of Health Services (DHS)
Schools Workgroup's Recommendation
This workgroup reviewed comparisons of existing school design guidelines and technical resources to prepare a recommendation. After making a tentative selection, they conducted an online survey in September 2005 to collect the opinions of school construction stakeholders. The group has concluded that the best guideline to meet the requirements of the Executive Order (EO) is the Collaborative for High Performance Schools (CHPS) Best Practices Manual.
The Collaborative for High Performance Schools (CHPS) Best Practices Manual is available at the CHPS web site.