The Division of the State Architect (DSA) reviews plans for public school construction and certain other state funded building projects to ensure that plans, specifications, and construction comply with California's building codes (Title 24 of the California Code of Regulations).
For qualified historical buildings or structures, Part 8 of Title 24 visit the State Historical Buildings Safety Board page.
- Disciplines - DSA devotes specifically trained technical staff to review and approve projects in the following "disciplines" (or aspects of design and construction).
- STRUCTURAL SAFETY - One of DSA's primary roles is the Structural Safety (SS) review of public schools (under the Field Act) and State Essential Services buildings.
- FIRE AND LIFE SAFETY - see the DSA Fire and Life Safety page.
- ACCESS COMPLIANCE - see the DSA Access Compliance page.
- ENERGY - see the DSA Energy page.
- High Performance Incentive Program - HPI page
- Project Tracking and Changes - Tracker
- Electronic Plan Review - Electronic Submittal/Plan Review Policy (PDF - 51 KB)
- DSA forms and publications regarding plan review are listed below.
Plan Review Forms
See the DSA Forms page for cited forms.
- DSA-1: Application for Approval of Plans and Specifications
- DSA-3: Project Submittal Checklist
- DSA-145: Record Set Handling Instructions
- DSA-403: 2008 Energy Code Compliance Checklist
Plan Review Publications
See the DSA Publications or IR Manual page for current versions of cited documents.