The Division of the State Architect provides design and construction oversight for K–12 schools, community colleges, and various other state-owned and leased facilities. The division also develops accessibility, structural safety, and historical building codes and standards utilized in various public and private buildings throughout the state of California.
Assistance For Disaster Damaged School Facilities
The Division of the State Architect (DSA) has policies and procedures to expedite the repair or reconstruction of school facilities damaged or destroyed by natural or man-made disasters. DSA recommends school districts contact their respective DSA regional office for assistance and guidance in repairing or replacing damaged structures or for placement of temporary emergency facilities. If you have questions, please contact your DSA Regional Office.
- Information related to the fires’ impact on schools such as damage, access issues and more should be sent to the California Department of Education Emergency Services at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Impacted local educational agencies to apply for a waiver through the California Department of Education to prevent them from losing Local Control Funding Formula funding based on attendance and state instructional time penalties. More information about state recovery resources is available from the CDE’s School Disaster Recovery webpage, and at this CalOES webpage.
- The California Environmental Protection Agency provides a library on air quality, debris and ash removal, and water quality monitoring.
- Rebuilding After a Wildfire (PDF), a publication from the State Fire Marshal.
- For an overview of state and federal resources, see the California Department of Education’s webpage on the October 2017 Statewide Wildfires.
Full Implementation of Electronic Plan Review
We are modernizing the plan review process at DSA by fully implementing Electronic Plan Review (EPR). Starting October 1, 2018, all projects submitted to DSA will be sent as electronic files. Design professionals will upload plans to DSA for a fully electronic review. The introduction of EPR brings changes to the submittal, review, back check and approval process of construction projects. Visit the Electronic Plan Review resource page for an overview of the process, copies of draft procedures, and the implementation schedule.
DSA 20/20: Focus on the Future - Wrap Up!
The Division of the State Architect (DSA), the Office of Public School Construction and the California Department of Education recently completed a series of statewide outreach events focused on sharing a wide variety of information and the exchanging of ideas for how, together we can deliver educational facilities more efficiently.
For materials, photos and a video recording, please visit the DSA 20/20: Focus on the Future event page.
Project Submittal Appointment Process
Our new Project Submittal Appointment Process is underway. The new process replaced the previous system that created “bin time” and allows design professionals to work on the project right up until the time of submission.
Instructions for the new process are outlined in DSA procedure PR 17-03: Project Submittal Appointment Process (PDF - 536 KB).
Protecting Schools from Nonstructural Earthquake Hazards
To learn more about avoiding potential safety hazards that can occur during an earthquake from nonstructural features improperly attached to the structure, review the Guide and Checklist for Nonstructural Earthquake Hazards in California Schools (PDF) . This document was jointly produced by the Governor’s Office of Emergency Services, the Department of General Services – Division of the State Architect, the Seismic Safety Commission, and the Department of Education.
California DSA Announces Easy Access to Uncertified Project Files
DSA Certification Box allows everyone to view uncertified project files, sorted by district, campus, and project. To view a list of outstanding forms, fees, and design documents required by the Division of the State Architect’s (DSA) office, visit the DSA Certification Box.
Our Key Services
The State Architect’s Corner
See the State Architect’s Corner webpage for a letter to our stakeholders, sharing initiatives and changes the Division of the State Architect has underway and is planning to implement.